This is a question I get asked all the time by my clients and by other folks in the community. Through my experience of 18 years representing injured individuals, I’ve seen lots of circumstances where a family was left devastated because they did not have enough UM coverage, and I’ve seen certain circumstances where families have been made completely whole and compensated for their injury fully because they did have enough uninsured motorist coverage.

In my opinion, you should have a minimum of $100,000 per claim, $300,000 per accident. That’s what’s called a 100-300 policy. I would suggest if you can afford to buy more uninsured motorist, that you should. The way the policies are sold, it’s usually a 25-50, meaning $25,000 for one individual or $50,000 for a whole wreck. Then a 50-100 policy. There’s a 100-300 and 250-500. If you can afford the 250-500, that’s an excellent choice to make.

Also, you could get an umbrella policy for just a few hundred dollars, as low as 150 bucks, after you have a significant amount of underlying coverage. The tricky part about an umbrella is, not all umbrellas cover UM. You have to make sure your agent gets that in there for you. If you have questions about UM coverage, call me at 615-425-2500 or reach out at We have offices in Nashville, Hendersonville and Knoxville, so we’re always close by when you need us.